2010 Medicare Supplement Changes
As these plans are still evolving, please visit us often for future updates.
The changes to Medicare Supplement come as a result of HR 6331, the Medicare Improvements for Patients and Providers Act (MIPPA, passed on July 9, 2008), which authorized implementation of the NAIC’s proposed Medigap modernization changes, which were approved by the NAIC Plenary in March 2007.
The 2010 Medicare Supplement changes are an effort to modernize the Medigap Market by dropping some coverage options and adding others. See Below.
Summary of changes for 2010 Medigap plans purchased effective June 1, 2010:
- “At-Home Recovery” benefit will be dropped from all 2010 Medicare Supplement plans
- Preventative Care will be dropped from all 2010 Medicare Supplement plans
- Medigap Plans E, H, I and J will no longer be available for new sales
- Plan G will be modified to increase excess charges from 80% to 100%
- New Hospice Benefit will be added to all plans
- Two new Medigap Plans M & N will be available in 2010
- Insurance carriers will be allowed to offer plans that include “New” or Innovative Benefits, such as eyewear or hearing aid benefits. They may not include outpatient prescription drug benefits.
FOR HELP ON HOW THE PLANS AFFECT YOU OR WHAT OPTIONS YOU HAVE TO LOWER HEALTH COSTS PLEASE CALL (866) 460-4321 or e-mail [email protected]